PG Diploma in Data Science – IIIT Bangalore
- Courses Description
- Type of Course
- Entrance Exam
- Admission Process
- Accreditation Status
- Fee Structure
- Expected Salary
- Contact Details
- Related Post
- IIIT Bangalore is a private institution located in Bangalore, Karnataka. It specializes in research, entrepreneurship, inventions, and innovations.
- It was established in 1999 to offer Information Technology (IT) courses. It started by offering M.Tech, M.S (Research), and Doctoral programs in IT.
- In 2005, the institute was conferred Deemed University status by the University Grants Commission (UGC) following the guidelines of Section 3 of the UGC Act of 1956.
- IIIT Bangalore introduced a PG Diploma Program in Data Science to equip professionals with data handling and security skills.
- 11 months
Type of Course
- This is a full-time program.
- The program is designed for working professionals with a desire to improve their productivity through excellence in data science.
- The program is awarded jointly by UpGrad and IIIT Bangalore. It involves rigorous learning schedules
- Students cover the following topics:
- Introduction to Data Management
- Introduction to Big Data Science
- Statistics and Exploratory Data Analysis
- Domain Electives- Healthcare, BFS, E-Commerce, and Retail
- Machine Learning
- All students must undertake several projects related to data science. The institution helps the students to work on their projects in areas simulated as actual working places which ensures that they learn all data science standards.
- The institution provides fully-equipped physical and digital libraries to enhance research among the students.
- Lecturers use various evaluation techniques including projects, group discussions, continuous assessment tests, essays, dissertations, and assignments.
- To graduate, students must satisfactorily pass all the evaluation parameters. Also, they attain at least 75% class attendance/ 8-10 hours a week.
- It involves interactive lectures from experts in the industry and world-renowned leaders. Lecturers engage students in vigorous discussion sessions to solve all their academic queries.
- Other learning techniques involved are seminars, conferences, exchange programs, and guest lectures.
- All students must handle at least 10 case studies and practical hands-on experience from various workshops organized by the institution.
- UpGrad gives the students one-on-one mentorship programs, networking opportunities, and job openings.
- All qualified students are issued with a certificate by IIIT Bangalore.
- The institution reserves the right to deny any student certification if they do not meet the minimum graduation requirements.
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Business Administration, Science, Computer Applications, Commerce, or Engineering. A Master’s degree in the fields is also permissible.
- Candidates must have at least 50% marks aggregate or equivalent CGPA from a college recognized by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- Candidates must have a minimum of 1 year of professional working experience.
- An online aptitude test (GMAT, CAT, and GRE also considered).
- All prospective candidates must apply for the program through the institution’s official website. Late applications will be rejected.
- Candidates are required to fill all the details required. Leaving out crucial details will lead to an automatic rejection.
- After receiving the application forms, the admission panel selects all the candidates who meet the minimum admission requirements (as outlined above).
- All shortlisted candidates are required to take an aptitude test designed to evaluate their quantitative abilities.
- Candidates who meet the following requirements will be excluded from the aptitude test:
- CAT score of more than 90 percentile
- A GMAT score of more than 650
- GRE score greater than 300
- Each candidate is awarded marks based on their performance in every step of the interview.
- Based on the cumulative score, qualified candidates are admitted to the program. They receive their letters of offers through the addresses provided during the application process.
- They are required to confirm their interest within a specified period failure to which the offer will be revoked.
- UGC Accredited
- Ranked 56th among engineering colleges in India by National Institutional Ranking Framework.
- The total fee for the program is Rs 285,000. It has flexible payment options.
- It covers tuition, learning material costs, refundable deposits, and library charges.
- It includes all the taxes.
- PGD in Data Science graduates gets placements in various organizations globally. The institution achieves over 99% placement success.
- Over 50 companies participate in the placement process while the majority of the graduates get promotion in their areas of work.
- Highest-paid graduates earn approximately Rs 35 lakhs annually.
- The average pay for the graduates is Rs 10 lakhs annually.
- Graduates in Data Science earn introductory salaries of Rs 7 lakhs and Rs 30 lakhs annually.
- The salary can rise to over Rs 40 lakhs annually over 2 years of professional life.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q1: How many hours would I be expected to commit to the program?
Ans: You must commit 8-10 hours per week to complete the program successfully in 11 months
- Q2: Can I enroll for specific modules if I do not need the entire program?
Ans: No, this program is designed to be covered in its entirety. You will not get any certification if you miss any module/subject
- Q3: Which statistical tools are offered?
Ans: R- Language, SPSS, SAS, Python, Tableau, Hadoop, MySQL, and Excel. Students get in-depth knowledge which is crucial in extracting, transforming, and analyzing various data sets
- Q4: What should I expect from the PG in Data Science Program?
Ans: Expect a rigorous curriculum that involves the intense application of concepts to real projects that mimic the actual business environment. You will undertake numerous projects, attend conferences, and make presentations to ensure that you internalize all the concepts
- Q5: How can I know whether PG in Data Science is the right program for me?
Ans: This program is for you only if you enjoy working with data, analyzing it, and deriving crucial insights that boost your decision-making process
- Q6: What if my current role does not need data analysis knowledge? Is it still sensible to undertake the program?
Ans: Yes, data science is rapidly becoming a necessity in all sectors. If you complete the program, you will become more marketable and improve your market value significantly
- Q7: Can I opt for online studies?
Ans: Yes, this program is flexible. However, you must indicate that you’re interested in online learning module during the application process
- Q8: How do I pay my fee for the PG Diploma in Data Science?
Ans: You can pay the fee online using Net Banking, Credit Cards, Debit Cards, or Bank Transfers
- Q9: What happens when I discontinue the course halfway?
Ans: No refund will be made and you will not graduate. However, you will be allowed to come back and complete your studies when you are ready for it
- Q10: Must I reside within the institution?
Ans: No, students are free to explore their accommodation options. However, the institution provides adequate accommodation facilities for all willing students
- If you need any clarification about this course or any other program offered by IIIT Bangalore, please visit their official website https://www.iiitb.ac.in/